AAR Award for Excellence in Teaching
The American Academy of Religion Award for Excellence in Teaching recognizes the importance of teaching, and honors outstanding teaching in the field.
Martha J. Reineke
Katie Geneva Cannon
Barbara (Bobbi) Patterson
Kwok Pui Lan
Patricia O'Connell Killen
Union Theological Seminary
Agnes Scott College
- Outstanding performance as a classroom teacher, as demonstrated by the teaching statement, representative syllabi, student evaluations, peer observations, teaching awards, and other forms of peer recognition.
- Development of innovative and/or exceptionally effective teaching methods, courses and curricular materials, including the incorporation of technology in the classroom, community-based education, grant projects and/or contributions to the scholarship of teaching and learning.
- Commitment to professional identity as a teacher of religion, including student or peer mentoring, workshop facilitation or design, and/or educational leadership at the local institution or professional societies.
- At least five years' experience in teaching in higher education.
Members of the Committee on Teaching and Learning will assess the applications. The Award will be presented at the Awards Ceremony held at the AAR Annual Meeting. The award recipient also will be featured at a Special Topics Forum.
All applications must include the following materials:
- A letter of nomination of no more than 1000 words highlighting the nominee's achievements with respect to one or more of the criteria listed above.
- A personal teaching statement of no more than 1000 words. Please respond to the following:
- What is effective teaching? And how do you know it?
- What teaching principles and/or philosophies do you use in preparing to teach?
- How do you continue to develop as a teacher?
- What advice would you give a new teacher?
- Three (3) additional letters of recommendation (including at least one from a student and one from a colleague).
- Two representative syllabi.
- A curriculum vitae of no more than three pages.
October 1 is the deadline by which nominations, and any information in support of them, must be received. Nomination materials may be mailed or submitted electronically through the online submission system. Mail nomination materials to:
Excellence in Teaching Award
American Academy of Religion
825 Houston Mill RD NE STE 300
Atlanta, GA 30329-4205